Wednesday 1 July 2009

Bungklang Bungkling: ARTIST

Taken from ‘Bungklang Bungkling’, ‘Punyah’, featured in Bali Post, Sunday, 28th June 2009,
a column
by I Wayan Juniartha
Translated by Putu Semiada




A R T I S T


What is the different between artist (seniman) and craftsman (pengrajin)?

Formerly, nobody really cared about what the different between ‘dadag’ (moonlight tree) and ‘kelor’ (Horseradish Tree).because there were so many more important issues that the Balinese didn’t really have much time to think about that.

In addition, the word ‘seniman’ and ‘pengrajin’ did not really exist in the past. What they had was the word ‘tukang’ (worker). No matter what kind of job people do, there was always the word ‘tukang’ in front of one’s profession, from ‘tukang banten’ (people making and selling offerings) to ‘tukang umah’ (building worker). From ‘tukang sulam’ (knitter) to ‘tukang batu’ (mason) and ‘tukang kandik saang’ (fire wood man).

Formerly what we called ‘seniman’ were supposed to be people like ‘tukang gambel’ (musician), ‘tukang kendang’ (drummer), tukang gambar (painter) and ‘tukang ukir’ (carver). Craftsmen were also called ‘tukang’. There were no differences.

Today, even though you are from the same ‘kawitan’ (ancestors), but when you are an artist and the other is a craftsman, you are not really close to each other.

Artists think that their status is higher than craftsmen. They think that their work is more valuable, better in quality, and more elaborate than the craftsmen’ ones.

“That’s why I usually finish one painting in 3 months, and that’s why they display my paintings in galleries. On the other hand, ‘pengrajin’ can finish 4 paintings in one week. So art market is the right place for their work,” I Made Pablo Akroso says.

The members of drinking club are nodding, except I Nyoman Kuang Pindang.

“What if the quality of your painting that you completed in 3 months is very bad, do you still expect people call you an artist? On the other hand, if a painting made by a ‘pengrajin’ and displayed in a gallery, do you think we can call him an artist?” I Nyoman asks.

I Made is pretending not to listen to I Nyoman’s question. As he feels ashamed, he is trying to give a new argument.

‘Seniman’ dedicates himself for world peace. He makes paintings to show his devotion to the God, while ‘pengrajin’ makes painting just because of economic reason, just to be able to survive,” I Made continues.

I Nyoman doesn’t really agree to I Made’s opinion.

“If you work to feed your own family, isn’t that supposed to make the ‘world peace’ as well. Because if they suffer malnutrition, how do you expect ‘peace’ in your life?

I Made’s face is getting red of embarrassment. But he doesn’t’ know how to reply I Nyoman’s comment. So he gives another opinion.

‘Seniman’ does not work for money, but they work to serve the world, they want to preserve the world’s art.

Just as I Made finishes his opinion, I Nyoman gives his further opinion

Are you really sure that ‘seniman’ doesn’t get paid? If no ‘pejati’ (kind of offering), no coffee served, no money is given, I am sure that they will not do the ‘ngayah’ on free will.

“If they don’t work for money, why do their paintings cost up to two hundred millions Rupiahs each. Aren’t they doing that to afford ‘Nokia’, ‘Toyota’, and for tourism?

I Made thinks for a while how to reply I Nyoman’s comment. He continues:

‘Seniman’ makes original work, as inspiration comes from an original idea while ‘pengrajin’ just copy other’s work, I Made says proudly.

I Nyoman laughs very loud having heard I Made’s comment.

“Since when do you think a man can create something from nothing? If you do think ‘pengrajin’ copy one’s work, and don’t you think that ‘seniman’ copy things created by the God, like nature, animals.

What is the difference between ‘seniman’ and ‘pengrajin’?

And what is the different between ‘frog and toad?’

The only difference is: one is better than the other at bullshit.


Glossary:

I Made Pablo Akroso: I Made A Lot of Things.
I
Nyoman Kuang Pindang: I Nyoman Fish Gravy.
Ngayah
: Doing something voluntarily without expecting the rewards.