Tuesday 4 November 2008

Having Children

From ‘’Panak’’ in Bungklang Bungkling column - Bali Post, Sunday, November 2, 2008 by I Wayan Juniartha
Translated by Putu Semiada

Which is better, having a baby-boy or baby-girl?

If you ask this kind of question to a married couple who has no any children yet, they would say, “It doesn’t matter for us, as long as we have. It’s the God’s gift.

But the government officials would say, “Two children are enough, boy or girl, doesn’t make any different.”

And your parents in law would say, “Of course a boy is preferred. You have to have a baby-boy.”

“It’s purusa line, it’s called. If you don’t have a baby boy, who will take care the house temple in future, or who will pray for your ancestors? As you know if you have baby girl, when she get married, she will belong to someone’s family,” Wayan Tenggek Kolot says.

Wayan has been desperate to having a baby-boy. However, every time his wife delivers a baby, always a girl comes up. He has four baby-girls already. He has been going and seeing famous fortune tellers, ground spirits, praying in various temples, from small ones to big ones. His wife looks pale because she has been very tired of having a lot of melukat ceremony, but no baby-boy so far.

I am thinking of getting married a woman again. Who knows she can give me a baby-boy,” Wayan says eagerly.

How stupid Wayan is! He thinks that a woman can confirm a baby she is gong to deliver a boy or a girl. He doesn’t know if it is the man who genetically is able to make a baby-boy or baby-girl. If he is that stupid no matter how often he will have sex with his wife, he will never be able to have baby-boy.

“For me, it’s better to have a baby-girl. A girl is more reliable, more diligent and hard-working. But, a boy, what he will do is just to spend money,” says I Made Berag-Beragan Gajahe.

I Made had hectares of land before at the bukit peninsula which was legacy from his parents. But his son, I Putu Enu Masih Mulukne had sold all. At his former land, more than 20 luxury hotels have been built. Contrary, he has nothing now, the money from the land sale has gone as his son Putu spent it all for gambling, girls, and drugs.

“My son always stays at home now, he has no job, no money, all he can do is just blaming our ancestors, he thinks he has such a bad destiny. So, if my daughter didn’t work hard, I wouldn’t be able to afford proper food for myself, just like my ancestors during the old days,” Made further says.

Now Made regretted that he didn’t support his daughter’s to achieve higher education. He didn’t give her any of land inheritance.

“My family might not have suffered like this, if I had given some land to my daughter and sent her to university. Why did I just give everything to my son who gives me a lot of trouble now. Poor me.”

I Kadek Noel Dogen has different idea. For him, a baby boy or a baby girl is the same as long as they remain a baby forever.

“If they remain a baby forever, it would be fantastic. They are cute, make you always happy. But you get your problem when they are grown up. Both bring problems.”

When they are teenagers, the boys will ride motor bikes crazily on the street, drunk, and at the last minute they will fight among them or get accident. While the girls will go to malls, discotheques, always dress up, but have no good manner. At the last minute, they will become call girls or the worst, get pregnant.

“There is no different between a baby boy or baby girl. Both has good and bad side,” he further says.

That’s why Kadek remain single until now, he is not willing to look for a girl friend, not dare to get married. He thinks that by having children you will get many problems.

So, which is better, having a baby-boy or baby-girl?

Well, it’s better to have good parents who are able to take care and teach their children properly.


Glossary :

Wayan Tenggek Kolot: somebody who is not so clever (talk a lot but although he doesn’t know much)
Melukat: a ceremony for human being for holier mind
I Made Berag-Beragan Gajahe: somebody who seems very poor but still have fortune actually.
I Putu Enu Masih Mulukne: somebody who has a very little fortune left.
I Kadek Noel Dogen: somebody who is afraid of taking risk.