Monday 17 November 2008

Academic Title



Currently more and more Balinese are holding academic titles. Even a palm toddy vendor does.

Since he held an academic title, I Made Tuak Labuh always gives his business card to everyone he meets or anywhere he goes. In his name card it says: “I Made Tuak Labuh, S.Sn; Pakar Alkohol”

Everybody wandered having seen his name card. They know that Made never goes to university. He even can not read nor write properly. Even when you see him write something, what he is doing is busy writing numbers for lottery.

“What does S.Sn exactly stand for?
“Sarjana Sempoyongan , I know how to make people get drunk,” Made says. He laughs loudly.

Everybody knows that Made is doing that because he is having a problem, not because he wants to show off.

I am going marry a girl and my future parents in law would like to their son in law is somebody who holds an academic degree. It is a must. My future wife is similar. She thinks that an academic can solve any problem.

Therefore he registers himself in a university called Universitas Dagang Ubad . As long as you pay, you don’t need to attend any lectures. You don’t need to prepare a thesis, because somebody will do as you pay him. Made met the rector only once, that was during the graduation ceremony.

“I don’t understand anything. When I was asked to give applause, I just did it. I was also asked to pay for photo and video and I did. After that they gave me my certificate and the rector shook my hand. He told me to be a good educated person who is willing to dedicate myself for the nation.”

It’s crazy. How you could be a good person when you get your academic degree like that. Where would the good thing come from?

“Hi Made, is that true that you can buy academic degree nowdays?” I Kadek Tanruh Sangsaya asks.

“Oh My God! You really don’t know what is going on. There is a demand, there is an offer. You know, when you don’t have academic title, nobody will respect you,” Made further says.

Everybody is nodding having heard what Made said. People will give more respect to you when you have academic degree. You are considered as a educated person when your name has academic degree.

“I understand now why there are many people academic titles. I meet them in every place,” Kadek says.

Some people even old 4 – 5 academic titles. Even there are some very young people who doctorate degree.

There are some possibilities regarding these kind of persons. They might be very educated, having a lot of money or they are not shy.

“Now you have more and more educated people, but why the world is getting more complicated?” Kadek asks.

“Why do you ask me. Isn’t it quite clear what I said before. The academic title has nothing to do with you being educated or not. Let alone you get your academic degree by cheating ” Made replies.

“Nowdays, you need the title just to get a job, instead of ‘finishing’ your job properly. The ‘title’ is for showing off instead of showing what your capability is.

That’s why you find many people with academic titles, e.g. MBA (Magister Bungut Linggah) , S.Sk (Silih-Silih Kambing) , M.A. (Mamitra Awaian) , M.Sc (Mula Seken Calep) , Dr. (Demen Rakus) , B.A. (Bikul Ames) , S.Sos (Srayang Sruyung olah sundel) , and Ph. D (Pamineh Dongkang) .

So, no matter how many academic titles you have, but as long as you don’t achieve them correctly, they are useless. They don’t guarantee you become a better person. A thief will be always a thief. People will know who you are.

So there are more and more ‘half mature’ people now in Bali, half educated half evil mind.

Glossary
I Made Tuak Labuh: Palm toddy vendor
I Made Tuak Labuh, S.Sn; Pakar Alkohol: It indicates that he is expert in alcohol
Sarjana Sempoyongan: A drunken person
Universitas Dagang Ubad: Not a qualified university
I Kadek Tanruh Sangsaya: Somebody who is not easy to believe
Magister Bungut Linggah: No action talk only
Silih-Silih Kambing: somebody who is not willing to return what he has borrowed
Mamitra Awaian: Always have love affair
Mula Seken Calep: Somebody who always wants others’ belonging.
Demen Rakus: Greedy person
Bikul Ames: Greedy person
Srayang Sruyung olah sundel: Become a slave of prostitutes
Pamineh Dongkang: Evil mind

Taken from ‘Bungklang Bungkling’, ‘Saplar Gelar’, in Bali Post, Sunday, 16 November 2008, a column by I Wayan Juniartha.
Translated by Putu Semiada