Thursday 9 September 2010

Bungklang Bungkling: Criminals (Corah) by Wayan Juniartha.

Taken from ‘Bungklang Bungkling’, ‘Corah’, a column by I Wayan Juniartha, published in Bali Post, Sunday 4th July 2010. Translated by Putu Semiada.




Criminals (Corah)

It can be understood why the palm toddy members are not used to going out at midnight time. It is because they live in a village. According to them, midnight is not good. It’s the time for various ‘black magic’ people, prostitutes, frogs and geckos. If they go out, something bad might happen to them.

But it is strange that they are also afraid of going out in the afternoon.

“If one hurts you with black magic, you still can go to a healer (balian) for medication. What if a burglar cuts your neck? What medication will be able to save your life?” asks I Madé Nyali Cenik (I Madé Coward).

Everyone nods. They believe that if you see leak (spook) on the street, you might just get nervous. But if you see a burglar, he may take your wallet, your ring and even your life.

“There have been many crimes these days: I always get nervous when I go out,” comments I Nyoman Jerih Kabilbil (I Nyoman Always Nervous).

There are snatchers everywhere, robbers (once we had a robber who wore underwears only ─ probably he is too poor), children kidnappers and rapists, tourist kidnappers, temple paraphernalia thieves, criminals at ATM booths, hypnotic crimes, car thieves, and bank robbers.

“I have bad feeling every time I watch TV, and I get nervous when I read newspaper. So, I have decided to just stay at home. You know, I’m very handsome. If I happen to be a victim of a robbery and I’m dead, my wife and my lover will miss me very much,” adds I Nyoman.

They nod but actually they don’t buy what he says: They just agree with the bit about the news on television and newspapers.

“There are many ways to die these days: You might be robbed and get killed or a motorbike or car hit you when you walk or drive on the streets. No matter how carefully you drive, anyone can drive crazily and hit you.

Usually, when they discussed these sorts of things, the Balinese tend to blame people from other islands; the Javanese rob and the Sasaks (Lombok people) steal. But now they understand that Balinese sometimes do the same. They even steal temple paraphernalia.

“I think it’s time for the Balinese kstaria (warrior) to show his heroism and defend Bali from criminals. We have many martial art clubs (perguruan silat) in Bali. There should be enough of them to fight the criminals,” adds I Madé.

Everyone is quiet. They’ve just read in the newspaper that a martial arts master attacked a university and beat the security who didn’t seem to know anything. The reason they did that was just because they didn’t find somebody they were looking for.

“Our vigilantes (pecalang) are too busy as parking attendants and security at cockfighting arenas, guarding kite club convoys and blocking the roads. They ‘have no time’ to deal with criminals.”

On the other hand, most kstarias (warriors) have turned into wesias (merchants), who are too busy selling their inheritances (land, etc.) or become project brokers. Some are too busy being rich, that they don’t have time to deal with unprivileged people.

In addition, the banjars and villages (desa) are also too busy to claim themselves the best, fighting each other on unimportant matters.

“So, how do we expect Bali to be safe and peaceful?” asks I Made.

Nobody comments. Everyone knows that Ajeg Bali (Sustainable Bali) and Bali Santhi (peaceful Bali), are just ‘mere rhetorical talk’ of educated Balinese, high ranking local officials or the established ones. They are the ones who never need worry about not being able to afford a meal, or worried about having an accident on the street, or being robbed by street thugs (preman).

“It’s hard being common people like us. We are poor and always in a bad position. No wonder that more and more of us commit suicide: It seems that it is a better choice than living in the current situation.”