Monday 20 June 2011

Bungklang Bungkling: Tree (Taru) by Wayan Juniartha

Taken from ‘Bungklang Bungkling’, ‘Taru’, a column by I Wayan Juniartha, published in Bali Post, Sunday 12th June 2011. Translated by Putu Semiada.


Tree (Taru)

“Is it true that there is any tree in Bali has magical power?” comes a question.

“Of course, there is. I’ll give you an example. Leak (Balinese witch) is scared of ‘dapdap’ tree. Once I use a piece of this tree to exorcise leak,” says I Made Sengauk Agrobag (Full of Bullshit).

Everyone then tries to listen to him carefully. They want to know more about his story. The reason is that it is hard to find a tough Balinese who dare to fight (“get rid of”) leak, and investors as well; they ‘invite’ them, instead.

“Once during the Kajang Kliwon (spooky day) and big celebration day, the power was off and the city water too. It seems there was a conspiracy between the leak and the PLN (State Electricity Enterprise) and PAM (Municipal Water Corporation).”

Everyone seems very interested in listening to I Made’s story. He is very clever in telling stories, like a real narrator, bringing his listeners into a suspense atmosphere.

“I saw an old-lady witch (celuluk) with hanging big breasts dancing. I was so scared. Suddenly I found two pieces of ‘dapdap’ trunks as big as my arms in front of the pavilion.

“I then hit her at her head and neck several times. She collapsed. After that I went back to sleep.”

Everyone is amazed by I Made’s story. They wonder how could he did it. They realize that how he did it has nothing to do with magic, nor magical tree.

I Made laughs loudly and say, “This is because you always expect big things happen.”

“There are still magical trees, but they mean nothing before ‘powerful’ men.”

‘Powerful’ men include men carrying machine saws, investors who want to build hotels and golf courses, and timber dealers.

“No matter how big is a tree, but when a man with machine saw cut it, it will fall down; no matter how big is a forest, when an investor wants to buy, the forest will be gone.”

Whether a tree can have magical power or it will become just piles of fire wood, it all depends on human’s will.