Wednesday 26 May 2010

Bungklang Bungkling: Interview with Balinese Gods (Betara)

Taken from ‘Bungklang Bungkling’, ‘Betara’, a column by I Wayan Juniartha, as published in Bali Post, Sunday 23th May 2010. Translated by Putu Semiada.




Interview with Balinese Gods (Betara)


During the Galungan and Kuningan holidays, not only Balinese women and girls are busy, but the gods as well.


Early in the morning when the heavenly ‘kulkul’ is beaten, the gods must clean themselves and get dressed.


“I usually just relax during the normal days. I even have time to do Tai-Chi,” says Ida Betara A (God A) during an interview with a Dewata-Dewati (Gods and Goddesses) TV reporter.


The gods only use their initials. It is an ethical code among them. It has been said that they are not allowed to give ‘press conferences’ if not necessary: as it often happens that some human beings claim that they get utterances from the gods although the gods have said nothing.


“When it is Galungan or Kuningan or other holidays, I have no time to relax.”


Ida Betara A has no high position (1A level), similar to village or district official, instead of regional, national or global level. The ones with ‘global’ positions are Brahma, Wisnu and Siwa. The supreme one is Ida Sang Hyang Widhi of course.


“Not like Sang Hyang Widhi, who is considered wyapi-wyapaka nirwikara (can exist anywhere), for us the gods at local level are a bit problem. We have to be at different places at different time as we have to witness our followers praying and we have to listen to their requests. Our wings sometimes get damaged as we have to fly everywhere: by the end of the day, we are very tired.”


“You are lucky to live in one village: I have to fly from one place to another. In the morning, I have to witness villagers praying at the village temple; in the afternoon, I have to fly to Jakarta to witness the Balinese praying there. After that, I have to fly to New York for the same. I’m lucky I am a god. If I were a human, I might get lost as New York is a very big city,” comments Ida Betara B (God B).


The TV reporter nods. He just notes how difficult it is being a god.


If I don’t act like that, I will be sorry for my followers who have spent a lot of money for offerings. But If I just stay in one place, I can’t stand that two million of my followers call (ngayat) my name at the same time.”


“Some gods are even absent and can not do their duties during Galungan and Kuningan.”


Ida Betara C (God C) and Ida Betara D (God D) are even suspended as they deeply ‘involved’ during the last local election. They fought and now they don’t talk to each other.” The gods cannot be blamed actually: they defended their own candidates. Both candidates were very serious in dedicating offerings. The one with the bold moustache dedicated a lot of offerings (pejatis) while the one with no moustache collected holy water (tirta) from many different temples. The competition between the two gods has made trouble in the heaven.


“Don’t you think that it’s getting difficult for Your Divine Holiness when your followers (damuh) have spent billions of Rupiahs to make offerings, renovate the temples, prepare Ngenteg Linggih and Padudusan Agung ceremonies,” asks the reporter.


Both Ida Betara A and Ida Betara B nod. They look at each other and wait for the other to comment. Finally Ida Betara A gives his comment.


“The problem is that they always want ‘rewards’ for the offerings they dedicate to me. They dedicate something but ask for a lot of things. That’s why I have to work hard to fulfil their wishes, like lobbying some parties and spilling my magic formulas (mantra) everyday.


Ida Betara B adds.


“It is not a problem for me as long as they pray for their own prosperity, good-looks and safety. I can still give them what they want. But some of them ask for joy and happiness. It gives me a headache because it is not really my jurisdiction. I myself am not happy being a betara.


The television reporter cannot believe what he hears. The conclusion is clear. With billions of Rupiahs spent for ceremonies, the gods should work hard to provide fortunes for their followers similar to what has been spent. But money can’t buy happiness at all.


“Only the Supreme God is able give us ‘laughter’ and happiness: it can not be negotiated or reached using offerings (canang, banten), let alone money.”