Saturday 9 January 2010

Bungklang Bungkling: Janda (Widow)

Taken from ‘Bungklang Bungkling’, ‘Janda’, a column by I Wayan Juniartha, as published in Bali Post, Sunday, 27th December 2009. Translated by Putu Semiada






Janda (Widow)


In Bali, a widow is always considered flirtatious and anyone can have sex with her.

“I believe that most of them are flirtatious and we can have sex with them anytime we want,” says I Wayan Buaya Darat (I Wayan Sex Maniac).

I can’t remember how many widows I have slept with, from the sexy one to the fat one,’ Wayan adds.

Ni Luh Makin Digosok Makin Sip’s face gets red having heard Wayan’s comment. She thinks that Wayan underestimates women.

She realizes from his face that Wayan is a very annoying person. He has a bold moustache and is arrogant. Every time he sees a woman, he tries to flirt with her. He thinks all women are the same.

“I regret I stopped learning black magic: If I hadn’t stopped, I would be able to curse this big mouth man,” Ni Luh thinks.

She imagines Wayan’s moustache disappearing and him becoming impotent because of her curse.

“How dare you talk like that, Wayan. You know, my father died when I was a baby, so my mother has looked after me ever since. She works very hard. You know she is a widow. If you dare to say bad thing about her…..”, I Made Wat Kawat Tulang Besi (I Made Strong Muscles) threatens Wayan.

Wayan cannot say anything. He remembers what happened last month when some men playing Chinese cards seduced Made’s mother when she was passing by in front of the security post. And then how, after a few minutes, Made came with a big wooden stick used to beat the men. They suffered bad injuries and were sent to hospital. Even the security post was a mess.

“If you don’t know nor understand how a wife left by her husband has to raise her children on her own, save your dirty talk,” says Made.

Ni Luh is happy to hear what Made says. She gives him a glass of palm toddy for free. She even hands a piece of wood to him. Made smiles but Wayan gets nervous.

I think that it’s only a man’s opinion that widows are flirtatious, says I Ketut Lubak Berbulu Bebek Betutu who pretends to be a ‘mediator’.

According to him if all people believe that widows are flirtatious, no woman would want to make friends with them, which means that they will have no friends to talk to and feel lonely. This situation will make easier for men to come and approach the widows. So that they can sleep with them then,” Ketut adds.

Even widows have friends to talk to, but nobody really believes them: All believe that they are not good women.

“It’s a good point. Once if I get caught having an affair with a widow, people will blame her, instead of me. Even my wife will beat her. Of course my wife will be mad at me, but it’s not a big deal. She will be able to understand that the widow has seduced me, not the other way round,” Ketut says laughingly.

Wayan also laughs, then suddenly he collapses. Made has beaten him with a piece of wood. After beating Wayan, Made then beats Ketut.

Ni Luh pretends not to see what happens.